Friday, November 27, 2009

Fondant Penguins

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm turning my attention to Christmas and so I spent some time today making some holiday fondant decorations. I decided to share my step-by-step instructions and photos for making the little fondant penguin above as he would be so cute atop any holiday cake.

Start by making an oval shape in black fondant and pinch a little tail shape at the back.

Next up, add a small round ball of black fondant for the head. I use a toothpick and a dab of water to secure them together.

Then make two long teardrop shapes and attach them to the sides with a little water. This makes the penguins flippers.

Cut out a teardrop shape in white and place it upside down on the front of the oval to make the penguins belly. Then cut out a white heart shape and attach to the front of the head as the face. Add two little orange balls at the bottom for the feet.
The final step is to add two little black eyes and an orange beak. Just form them with your fingers and attach with a tiny dab of water.

And there you have it, a little fondant penguin perfect for the holidays!

11 comments:

Kate said...

That is adorable! Thanks for sharing the step by step directions!

small house said...

Your directions are clear and are illustrated step by step. Thanks for sharing it to us.

Haddock said...

Well explained.......step by step.

Anonymous said...

I thank you so much for sharing this, Believe it or not it's the birthday of the daughter of my close friend this coming Saturday, I was so problematic of how am I going to design and decorate a cake with 7 penguins. But when I saw your post Oh I felt so relieved, thank thank you so much,you're such an angel.

Anonymous said...

So adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Brittany said...

thanks so much. I am going to make them for my husbands home coming cake :)

Helen said...

Your step-by-step directions were sooo helpful at 1am in the morning when making my daughter's cake!! The cake was a hit and we made 10 cute little penguins celebrating her 10th birthday!!

Anonymous said...

My super GF made this for my birthday and I couldn't be happier!!!

This is how it looked:

http://www.lifematters.ws/penguincake1.jpg
http://www.lifematters.ws/penguincake2.jpg

Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

This was so helpful! My grandpa loves penguins and I am in charge of making his bday cake. He is going to LOVE these little guys! I even added little party hats to all of my penguins. I am so pleased. Thanks again!!

Carrie said...

Can you post your fondant recipe? Thanks! My son wants a penguin cake for his bday. This is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver.
I am thankful you are willing to share your talent.

Post a Comment